Déjà Vu: The Everlasting 90s.





As someone who grew up in the 90s, I'm currently getting a remarkable sense of déjà vu. It's not a bad thing, I have wonderful memories of the 90s. Watching Clueless and Saved by the Bell, dancing to Destiny's Child and the Spice Girls, purchasing never ending spaghetti-strapped tops, scrunchies and those amazing skirt-over-trousers-combo-things; ah, those were the days. It seems some of leading fashionistas and designers are too feeling the same sense of nostalgia, with outfits, both on the catwalks and the streets, so 90s I have started to think time travel is actually possible. 

At London Fashion Week as I was watching Marques'Almeida's latest collection sashay down the runway to Air's 'Sexy Boy' I felt like I was Kate Moss back when she was dating Johnny Depp, but much fatter and no where near as cool. With names such as Saint Laurent, Wildfox and House of Holland presenting collections reminiscent of the wonderful 90s, it's good to know not only I was wishing to be Kate back in 1997 but the likes of Hedi Slimane were dreaming of it too.


The Fashion: beanies, dungarees, denim, slogan t-shirts, scrunchies, flannel shirts, round-framed glasses, Wonderbras, tie-dye and strappy sandals. 

The Soundtrack: Nirvana, Blur, The Prodigy, Oasis, Britney, Pulp and Radiohead

The Films: Men in Black, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, American Beauty, Forrest Gump, Pretty Woman, Mrs Doubtfire, Jurassic Park and Independence Day.






Cara Delevingne in her signature grungy look.

Drew Barrymore in the 90s.

Alicia Silverstone in the 90s, note the sandal.

Winona Ryder in the 90s.

Paul and Stella McCartney in the 90s.
 "A 1990s mood is about reduction and freshness. It's an easy way to dress without having to think about it too much."Richard Nicoll on SS13
Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell back in the 90s.

Rihanna and Cara this year showing off their 90s trends.

Johnny Depp and Kate Moss when they were together in the late 90s.

The Clueless movie poster, 1995.

Wildfox's SS13 campaign, an imitation of Clueless's 1995 movie poster.

Hedi Slimane's AW13 Saint Laurent collection.

Saint Laurent's AW13 campaign with 90s icon Courtney Love.

Marques'Almeida AW13.

House of Holland SS13.

"I was having a bit of a nostalgic moment, it was about all the motifs and pieces that I remember fondly."Henry Holland on his SS13 collection.





10 comments:

  1. Great post with amazing pictures!
    Olivia - cravemorebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 90s!!! Hahaha oh my goodness those trouser-skirt things...what on EARTH were they?! Do you remember pedal pusher jeans?!

    On another note, Kate and Jonny - coolest couple of all time.

    Love your blog and you have a new follower! xoxo

    http://theperksofbeingahipster.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post!

    CARA<3

    Emma xx
    http://iemmafashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. vicsfashionmarket13 May 2013 14:22

    omg the 90s....
    Vicsmarketlondon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I had about five million pairs of pedal pushers - the skirt trouser things were the highlight of my wardrobe.


    Thank you, I'll follow you right back x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Francesca, I gotta say, your post completely is making me shift my perspective on 90s fashion. I too grew up in this era and at the time, it felt like one of the more freer periods of dress. Then once I became an adult I simply detested the 90s because the compilation of imagery I was subjected to depicted it as a rather disheveled mess. But the way you describe it, I think its about seeing it more as a state of mind than anything else. I honestly could not have a wardrobe like those in Clueless, but Kate Moss...my goodness she can do no wrong. Henry Holland has been a fave for me and I think he is always re-interpreting 90s fashion for his shows. And every now and then I get an uncontrollable urge to step out in a band tee, boyfriend jeans, and utilitarian leather boots, pretty much the way models continue to dress way beyond the last decade. Baseball caps, not so much ;)

    PS- Do you think Rihanna is a 90s dresser then? Perhaps I am 90s with a 40s glam twist and never realized it! Ahh denial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!

    I've just found ur blog, amazing remember!

    followin u, visit mine and let me know if u like it ;)

    kisses from Spain,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE Cara... she seems to do everything just oh so right! xxxx

    Render
    Sublime

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gotta say, at first I was hesitant about the resurgence of the 90's, but now I kind of love it. Babes it crop tops and relaxed denim - so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely think Rihanna is a 90s dresser; denim, plaid shirts tied round her waist, caps, beanies - she's bringing it back, did you see her River Island collection?

    I'm not for caps either, but I love some of the clothes now - it's so easy to throw on a slogan tee and boyfriend jeans. 90s it easy, casual, grungy and as you say like a state of mind as well as a trend, I love it!


    x

    ReplyDelete